martes, septiembre 04, 2007

Number 13

A number that is considered unlucky by a lot of cultures, especially Friday the 13th. First, let's get the fact out of the way that it was originally the day on which the Knights Templar were condemned and slaughtered in a pact between the King of France (twat) and the pope (pontificating twat). This effectively disposed all of all opposition to the catholic church (collective twats).

Now, for other interesting 'facts' about the number 13.....

In Tarot decks, the 13th card of the Major Arcana is Death (hooray, he gets his own card)

There were 13 people at the Last Supper of jesus (which is bullshit because Mary got airbrushed out)

13 is considered unlucky as a person can count from 1-12 with their 10 fingers and 2 feet, but not beyond that, so the number 13 is unknown (who came up with this bullshit? they can't count toes then, or their dick or anything else?)

The number 13 was stricken from the clock, because the time 13:37 is hallowed (bit fucked when the 24-hour clock came out then.... beware digital watches, they are the work of the Devil !!!)

Some streets do not contain a house number 13 (especially not ones with less than 12 houses on it as that would be stupid)

Apollo 13 was an unlucky space flight which nearly ended in disaster (had nothing to do with shit planning by NASA at all)

The number of original states in the United States of.... was 13 (now that's fucking unlucky as they needed to expand)

There were 13 Plutonium slugs in 'Fat Man', the atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki (unlucky if you were anywhere near at the time)

There are traditionally thirteen steps leading up to a gallows (which they no longer have as they were a pain in the neck)

There are 13 full moons in a normal year (which means you have 13 chances to get attacked by a werewolf every year)

Please feel free to add you comments on the number 13 - can be anything you would like, such as, if you rotate 13 90 degrees to the left it looks like eggs on toast, but if you rotate 13 90 degrees to the right it looks like a crap bra....

23 comentarios:

Unknown dijo...

Strange, I can get to twenty if I use my toes. Are you a toeless goth?

Sewmouse dijo...

The irrational fear of the number 13 is called "Triskaidekaphobia", which is a very long word but contains 17 letters - presumably so that those who suffer from it are not afraid of their own phobia.

Pat dijo...

No 13th floor in sky scrapers in the States.

SpanishGoth dijo...

John G -> not me sir, just one of the quotes I listed

Sewmouse -> yeah, I read that and 17 is also a prime number, the same as 13

Pat -> read that to but I'm not sure Merkans are that good at counting anyway....

SpanishGoth dijo...

Oh, and I nearly forgot, Princess diana (the dead one in case you hadn't heard) crashed into the 13th pillar in the tunnel.... lucky eh?

Unknown dijo...

13 is my lucky number! Just to be awkward, of course!!

SusannahS dijo...

Not only skyscrapers but many of our hotels are missing their 13th floors...We can count over here, but we're oddly superstitious.
:)

SpanishGoth dijo...

John -> awkward? you? never. No wonder you ended up here

Sussanah -> odd I can go with, oddly superstitious? I'll think about that one honey ;-)

Elaine Greywalker dijo...

I found a building once that didn't have a 12th floor but had a 13th floor. 13 is my lucky number. (More than one of us can have it as a lucky number. Can 13 of us?) I always have a good day on Friday the 13th. 13 is a prime number. The next one is 17.

Princess of the Universe dijo...

There are no 13th floors on hotels either. Kind of stupid really- wouldn't that just make the 14th floor unlucky?

Anónimo dijo...

The morbid fear of Friday the 13th (the day, not the slasher flick) is Paraskevidekatriaphobia.

If you've been around the internet for a bit, you'll have seel 'hacker' or 'leet' (elite) speak, where things are often written l1k3 7h15. Leet speak for the word 'leet' is 1337.

Ani Smith dijo...

All I can think of now is that old Pixies song, "got a tattooed tit, say number 13."

Anónimo dijo...

Oh - what Ani said reminded me. Glenn Danzig of the imaginatively titled 'Danzig' wrote a song called 'Thirteen'. It was covered by Johnny Cash on his 'American recordings' album.

Drama Queen dijo...

I had a horrible history teacher who was knocked down on Friday the 13th by the number 13 bus. Guess the number of bones broken. . .

SpanishGoth dijo...

Elaine -> In some cultures it is Tuesday the 13th that is unlucky

Princess -> It would if you hadto jump the gap

Tom -> One of my mates is a leet and it's funny as fuck when he decides to have a pop at M$

Ani -> think I've got that one somewhere

Tom again -> There is also a band called Wednesday 13, the lead singer was with the Murderdolls

DQ -> 256? ;-)

The Aunt dijo...

I couldn't count thirteen as I am missing the recommended appendage.
Can I get some kind of social benefit for that?

I can do 14 without any problem at all.

ysfb dijo...

I was the supreme bastard at age 13. I terroized people and made their lives a living hell. Nowadays I just do it behind their back.

kimmyk dijo...

i didn't know half of this stuff.
the one about princess di caught me off guard.

Ariel dijo...

What purpose do all these superstitions serve I wonder? Every culture has got them. For my case, the crappiness of Fridays falling on the 13th is no different from the crappiness befalling me on other days.

Anónimo dijo...

Buenos días sir Goth ,

Paraskevidékatriaphobique ?
It is thirteen surprising!!

Not of thirteenth stage in high rise made in the USA nor of thirteenth bring to room temperature in hotels!!
Passage foreseen near the earth of an asteroid on Friday, April 13th, 2029.
A sports game of lottery which is called "Totocalcio"
Friday, 13 is also associated with the black cat thus to the witches...
For example, the " Code of Hammourabi " which is a very former text of law, had no article 13!!

Pass under a scale! Open an umbrella in a house! Cross a black cat! Put downhis bread back to front! And jetter a hat on a bed?? All this on Friday, 13 then there you ête in the shit...

SpanishGoth dijo...

Aunty -> Now you're just showing off

YSB -> guess we'll blame that on puberty then

Kimmy -> not as much as it caught her off guard

Ariel -> so people can blame it on someone other than themselves I think

Dip-Dop -> was going to go further into the superstition thing but thought I'd leave it for a seperate post

Nature Girl dijo...

pain in the neck? you slay me! roflmao! Love it.

13 has always been my lucky number.
Stacie

SpanishGoth dijo...

Stacie -> It's a lucky number in a number of cultures, especially if you win 13 million on the lottery ;-)